Tuesday, August 12, 2014

What We Can Learn from the Death of Robin Williams




Depression affects millions upon millions of people, and yet it’s still widely misunderstood, along with a grocery list of mental illnesses. A conversation with my roommate last night about the passing of Robin Williams only cemented what I already knew to be true.

Upon learning that he’d not only had a wife, but children, her response was: “What a selfish man he must be to leave behind a family.” She then went on to question his depression and what had "caused it," throwing out theories about his wife cheating on him (pure speculation on her part, I might add. There are no reports that support this, but that’s completely irrelevant to my point).

I tried my best to be understanding, but I’m certain that some of my frustration showed because the bottom line is, depression doesn't typically have a specific cause. And I think that’s really hard for some to wrap their head around if they haven’t dealt with it directly. They can’t seem to understand the notion that depression is a very real debilitating illness that is not the same thing as being in a temporarily “depressed” mood and moving on from it.

It’s true that there are risk factors and other things that come into play. Grief even can eventually manifest into depression if the sufferer lacks effective coping skills. But depression is not a temporary mood caused by one single thing. It can be a combination of life circumstances, family history, and chemical imbalances, among many others.

Unfortunately, I can’t say that I was surprised to learn that many were shocked that Robin Williams had been a long sufferer of depression. He seemed to be happy and joyous and hilarious, but he’d also publicly struggled with addiction and Bi Polar Disorder. And that’s my point - mental illness does not know any boundaries or limitations. It’s not logical or sensical. You cannot presume to know a person’s outlook, self-worth, or mental state simply based on their affect or how they choose to present themselves to the world.

I lost my best friend to the battle when I was 19. And despite years of my own struggling, I didn’t see it coming. She was one of the happiest people I knew, and I’d always assumed I’d recognize it in someone else after my diagnosis. But people see what they want to see, and when the rest of the world is counting on you to be their bright ray of sunshine -

Well, you can’t exactly let them down, can you?

And let’s not discount the stigma, a word I've really started to hate. But how often do we hear, “What exactly do they have to be depressed about? Their life is perfect.” And here we have the celebrity factor added to it, which only increases the judgment. “But Robin Williams is wealthy and famous. He’s brought joy to millions of people through his humor and he’s got a [seemingly] wonderful family who loves him. He has no right to be depressed.”

I would like to say that a reaction like this is, unfortunately, perfectly natural. If shining lights like Robin Williams can be suffering so deeply, what does that mean for those who don’t seem to have it all, who may be more affected by a tough economy or lackluster familial circumstances? It’s easy for us to discount compassion and jump into that defensive mode because it’s too emotionally difficult to recognize the prevalence of depression, that it knows no limits or boundaries.

But that needs to end. Because in attempting to protect ourselves from a harsh reality, we make it that much more difficult for suffering to be okay. And it is okay. I shouldn’t have to paste a smile on my face all day, every day because it’s expected of me or because it’s easier for someone else if I pretend that I’m fine. To quote Meredith Grey, “Not everybody has to be happy all the time. That's not mental health. That's crap.”

Consider how that unyielding pressure would feel and multiply it by a billion someones who are counting on you to be the over-the-top hilarious, amiable man that they think they know you to be.

Congratulations. You now have an inkling of what it might be like to be Robin Williams.



No comments:

Post a Comment